The Inquirer, Thursday 17 March 2005, 15:29 says:
ONLINE ENCYCLOPAEDIA the Wiki is close to reaching half a million English articles online. […] According to its English page, here, there are currently 499,690 English articles on the resource.
Wikipedia Press Release 18 Mar 2005 says:
The Wikimedia Foundation announced today the creation of the 500,000th article in the English language edition of Wikipedia (Wikipedia.org), the free, open-content, multilingual encyclopedia. Wikipedia, begun on 15 January 2001, is the world’s fastest-growing, most current, and largest encyclopedia. It is listed as the fourth most popular reference website on the Internet by traffic counter Alexa.com and receives approximately 50 million “hits” every day
From the press release talk page and the half million pool talk page it seems the 500,000th article has been concluded to be [[Involuntary settlements in the Soviet Union]] created on 17 Mar 2005 @ 20:54:46 UTC.
Republished. First Published: 18 Mar 2005 @ 16:44 MYT.
- Wikipedia English Main Page – shows 500569 articles at 18 Mar 2005 @ 0840 UTC.
- Wikipedia Malay Main Page – shows 3894 “rencana” at 18 Mar 2005 @ 0840 UTC.
- Wikipedia Malaysia – main page.
- Snapshot of Wikipedia turning 500,000 articles old – Brian Mingus, 17 Mar 2005.
- Wikipedia Publishes 500,000th English Article – Angela Beesley, 18 Mar 2005.