This is one seriously nice toy for a mapping junkie. 😉 It’s “only” USD534 (about RM2029) in the US, but you can get it for around RM2400 from the local Malaysian distributor. Key features …
- Electronic compass, barometric sensor
- Color 2.6″ LCD
- 56MB internal RAM for maps
- 20hrs usage with 2 AA batteries
- Weatherproof casing
The dealer installed for me “KL Routable v2.61” and “Singapore Malaysia Phuket 2003 V mal 42B” maps. Pretty detailed around KL, but less so around Klang and Meru. Gets about Â±10m accuracy using about 4 satellites with the GPSmap lying in the centre console of the car. It manages to get better accuracy Â±7m using 6 satellites or so when the GPSmap is held up to open sky.
- Garmin GPS Maps of Malaysia & Singapore – New portal, moved from old one at MSN.
- Forums Index – Includes free GPS maps discussion, track uploadings, maps updating, technical and Garmin firmware discussions.
- FAQ – Includes basic defintions, maps loading into GPSr, map authoring and contributing to Mal/Sin free mapping effort.
- Kuala Lumpur Routable v2.65 – Updated 18 Jun 2005.
- MAL47 – Updated 18 Jun 2005.
- MyPDACafe GPS Forum
- Malaysian GPS Navigation Applications – Dr Azmi Mohd Tamil on 13 Feb 2005 reviews Mapopolis with VM maps, agisNavigator and PocketMV with GPSMapMySG. He found “Currently the best PDA navigation software available in Malaysia is Pocket MV … In fact Pocket MV is the only single reason for me to use a Pocket PC.“